The 3 Main Benefits of Grout Sealing
When installing new tiles, most people often ask about the need to seal the grout. On this note, different contractors have different opinions. That’s why, in this blog post, it’s time to settle the issue once and for all: what are the benefits of sealing grout?
However, before answering this question, determine if the grout used on your tiles needs to be sealed. Not all kinds of grout need to be sealed; some high-performance ones like epoxy or urethane grout can be just left as is. However, Portland cement based grouts—of both sanded and non-sanded varieties—should be sealed if used without an additive. To be sure, consult the manufacturer’s website for more information.
Why Homeowners Should Have Grout Sealed
- Keeps grout looking brand new. Sealing the grout makes it more water-resistant and, hence, less susceptible to damage or discoloration. Leave it unsealed and watch any liquids that spill on the grout—such as wine—end up staining it. And while you can use bleach to remove some of these stains, other substances such as oil cannot be cleaned off completely. You may have to replace all the grout due to these bad stains.
- Helps keep out mold and mildew. Remember, mold and mildew grow on warm and damp surfaces. A non-penetrating grout sealer can help keep moisture away; stopping water from seaping into the grout. Without any moisture, these organisms won’t grow on grout, sparing you from the hard task of trying to scrub mold and mildew out.
- It is not hard or expensive to do. There are many spray-on grout sealers out in the market today. Simply buy a bottle or two and spray them on a couple of weeks after the tile has been installed. It’s easy enough for a weekend DIY project! Some grout sealers also come in brush-tip pens or small bottles with sponge tips. However, for complex tile installations, it’s suggested to just have an additive included in the mix instead of spraying a sealant by hand.
Of course, the benefits of having grout sealed will be best enjoyed by homeowners with freshly installed tiles. For property owners in Texas who are looking to have their old tiles replaced, call Tile Busters. We offer a unique dustless tile removal service that will make it easy for your preferred contractor to install the tiles (and the grout) you want. For a free no-obligation estimate, call us at 903-448-7171.
Tile Busters wants to provide the communities of Texas with the best tile removal services and experience.
To do this, our services are available not only to residential spaces, but to various commercial properties as well. The types of properties we serve include:
- Hotels and Bed & Breakfasts
- Museums and Art Galleries
Tile Busters can handle all types of tile removal jobs, be it renovation or replacement. We’ve been in the flooring business since 1994, and our experience allows us to give you the best services and customer care. Not only that, but our technicians are fully licensed and certified and are ready to take on any task. Give us a call at ##phone## and get a free estimate today.